I first came across the ‘Protein Bread Co’, a company that sell low carb, gluten free mixes and breads. I first thought it was perhaps too good to be true, but I absolutely swear by their products, especially the bread and the muffin mixes.These products are all high in protein, something I believe lots of people don’t eat enough of. These Citrus Poppyseed Choc muffins are low carb, gluten free, high protein, and HIGH in flavour!
I have made muffins using the mix a couple of times, but each time I change up the recipe, to not only try out different flavours but to try and improve the taste. Keep in mind, I have used quite a lot of ingredients, but only because I had them at hand, and because I am a self-diagnosed recipe experimenter. If you want to omit anything, or substitute it, feel free to. I have also added in brackets substitutes, but keep in mind the ingredients I used are meant to give you a lower-calorie and high protein recipe, if you alter it, the nutritional value of your muffins may be different. This recipe I am absolutely obsessed with, so let me show you how I made them!
Serving Size: 1 muffin, makes 12
What you will need
(click on the product to see where you can buy it, if you want exactly what I used)
- 340g/whole small pack The Protein Bread Co muffin mix
- 20g or 1 heaped TBSP Tropeaka Pump Vanilla Protein (can omit)
- 14g or ½ TBSP Organic Brown Rice Protein (can omit)
- 2 TBSP Queens Maple Flavoured Syrup (can replace with Maple Syrup or Honey)
- 200-220ml Soy Milk (start with 200 and add if you need) (can replace with Almond Milk or any milk alternative)
- 5 egg whites, and 1 egg (1/2C liquid egg whites + 1 egg, or 3 eggs)
- 1 TBSP Poppy Seeds
- 1 small lemon, zest and juice
- 1 orange zest (can replace with another lemon zest)
- 30g, or 4 squares Pana Raw Organic Orange Chocolate
- 3 turns of Pink Himalyan Salt
- 1 TBSP Baking Powder (I like mine fluffy, no need to add as much)
- 2 TBSP Stevia (can replace with sugar, but keep in mind that won’t make these too healthy)
- 55g Pico Organic Dark Caramelised Almond Chocolate (just more than half the mixture, no need to be too precise), some put aside for topping (can use any type of chocolate, but try get a healthy one – look for lower sugar or those flavoured with Stevia, go for the dark options)
- 2 TSP Vanilla Essence (can omit)
- dash of all spice (can use cinnamon, or omit)
- First, preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Add into a bowl your muffin mix, both proteins, and stevia. Mix well.
- To this mixture, add in your milk and egg mixture. Mix well.
- Add in your lemon zest, lemon juice, and maple flavoured syrup. You guessed it, mix!
- Add in your baking powder separately and mix. I do this to ensure that it doesn’t clump together with other ingredients.
- Add in your poppy seeds, mix, then add in the allspice/cinnamon, vanilla essence, and salt.
- Cut up your Pana chocolate into little squares, and add in. Then, chop up your Pico chocolate and do the same.
- Mix well. The mixture is now ready to be placed in the muffin tins.
- Place into muffin tins, and top with some of the Pico almond chocolate you set aside earlier. These are now ready to go into the oven for 15-20 minutes. These will be ready when you stick a skewer/knife in and it comes out clean.
- Eat and enjoy!
My first taste …
These were so tasty – the texture of them was so muffin-y, you wouldn’t guess that these are a healthy alternative to sugary processed muffins. The choc-chips added in a yummy texture, and finished off the muffins perfectly. Have a look at the inside of the muffins, don’t they look delicious?
Yes, that is Paccy, my beautiful cat, I’m glad you all got to meet him there!
Here is the nutritional value :
I was so happy with the turnout of these, I feel like you will be too, if you are not only looking for a high protein muffin, but if you are wanting to eat something that feels naughty but it not at all. I am so happy I am able to share this recipe with you, so please try them out and let me know what you think. I would love to get to know you, so comment below.
Until next time!
Lots of Love,