It happens to the best of us, we want to stop and take the easy way out. I used to do this all the time, and its one of the things I am now starting to get much better at, which I am so proud of myself for. This doesn’t just happen in terms of health and fitness, but life in general. There are days where we feel amazing, and there are days when the last thing we want to do is complete challenges and goals. The way I think of it – is that at the end of the day those hours are going to pass, so you may as well do what you have set yourself and complete your goals, because no matter what that time will pass. That night you will either be lying in bed happy with yourself, or disappointed. That is what gets me through, and I know through talking to other people everyone has their own motivation, but that is just mine.
Here are some tips I want to give you to help you through when you aren’t feeling motivated:
- Mix it up: if you are constantly doing the same exercise routines, you may get bored, and your body may start to plateau; so you may not be seeing the results you want to see. When this is the case, change it up! Do fun activities that get you moving and your heart rate going, not only will you be enjoying yourself, but you will be moving without even realizing, since you will be having so much fun. This is what I love to do, since I get bored easily. Here are some things you could try
– YouTube workouts
– rock climbing (indoor and outdoor)
– outdoor walking
– bike riding with friends or family
– working out with a friend
- Set a goal for yourself: if you aren’t working towards something, you will probably find it hard to continue when you aren’t feeling it. If you have a goal, you will be less likely to quit, because there will be that little voice in your head saying “but you haven’t completed the goal yet…?”. As you guys may know, I wouldn’t call myself strong at all, or completely fit. I am trying, and I have gotten a lot stronger than what I used to be, but I still like setting myself goals, even if they are small. This keeps me excited and makes me want to keep going.
My goal at the moment: by the end of the year to be able to do 1 chin up (they are so hard for me)
See, this goal isn’t huge, but to me, it makes a whole difference; because it’s that chin up that makes me want to work my whole body, improve my strength, and what makes me mentally stronger, because I am not giving up.
- Motivate yourself: We all have quotes that motivate us. Like you would have read in my ‘About Me’ post, I get motivated thinking about how we all have this amazing opportunity to look after our bodies by moving it, when other people are unfortunately not able to. Google quotes, even Pinterest fitness quotes, and you will find one. When you are struggling think of this.
- Look at how far you have come: Although it’s important not to look back because we want to move forward, think about how far you have come and all the amazing things that you have done that have gotten you to this stage. It doesn’t have to be big, but think of one thing that has made you proud of yourself, whether that be mental or physical. Like I said, it can be the littlest of things, but if you have improved, then you should be proud of yourself for it.
- Think of the big picture: remember that one thing after another after another will get you where you want to be. You may get bored and lose motivation, but remember that there is a big goal in mind, something that you are working towards. Even if that is a small goal, picture yourself when that goal is completed and how amazing you will feel. It will be the best feeling in the world. Don’t stop!
Remember, if you are setting goals and doing things which you wouldn’t ordinarily do, you will feel challenged and it may make you want to back off. If you don’t give up, you will later thank yourself for it, I promise. If you do ordinary things you won’t become extraordinary, and if it was easy then everyone would do it; everyone would ace their Uni degree and get amazing grades, everyone would have the body they desire, and everyone would always complete all their goals. You can do this, I know you can, and remind yourself of that when you are feeling like you want to give up.
I really hope that this post has inspired you a little bit and encouraged you to keep going. Even if it is one thing you to each day to work towards your goal, you are going in the right direction. You can do this! I would love to get to know you, so comment below.
Until next time!
Lots of Love,